Producer-Consumer using a Stratix 8300

RSLinx, RSLogix, RSView, LogixPro ...
Mr_Alex

Producer-Consumer using a Stratix 8300

Post by Mr_Alex » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:28 am

Hello
You can make tags between ControlLogix Producer-Consumer using a Stratix 8300?

Producer PLC ---> Stratix 8300 ---> PLC Consumer

Is it possible? How is it done? (sos)

regards

prushmere

Re: Producer-Consumer using a Stratix 8300

Post by prushmere » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:58 am

Yes - the poduced and consumed tags are set up in the PLCs, the type of ethernet switch is unimportant.

See this:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.co ... _-en-p.pdf

Mr_Alex

Post by Mr_Alex » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:40 am

Hello

Then do I have to configure anything on the Stratix? They will connect three plc, one on each port Stratix, Stratix port and a 1756-EN2TR module.

Thanks for your answer

regards

prushmere

Post by prushmere » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:43 am

The Stratix will work 'out of the box' without any configuration, although there is a whole raft of features you can play with if you need to. Things like assigning IP addresses to specific ports, smart port configuration, etc. There are some setup guidelines for smart port setup on the AB Knowledgebase:

Smartports are a key feature of the Stratix 8000 switch which allow the operation of ports of a switch to be optimized by applying a suitable configuration for the device connected to that port. Smartports can be configured from Device Manager, using Cisco Network Assistant or from within a Logix 5000 project.

Recommended guidance for smartport application is as follows:

If you are connecting a single EtherNet/IP node such as an I/O module, ENBT module or HMI terminal, you should apply an Automation Device smartport. The Customize button allows you to assign the port to a VLAN.
If you are connecting a computer or server (including FactoryTalk View) running one operating system at a time (e.g. Microsoft Windows installed on the base image), you should apply the Desktop for Automation smartport. The Customize button allows you to assign the port to a VLAN
If you are connecting a computer or server running multiple operating systems simultaneously (for example, Microsoft Windows running within VMWare) then you should apply NO smartport for Stratix 8000 switches with firmware before Release 6 (122-58.SE2).
If you are connecting a computer or server running multiple operating systems simultaneously (for example, Microsoft Windows running within VMWare) then you should apply Virtual Desktop for Automation smartport for Stratix 8000 switches with firmware Release 6 (122-58.SE2) or greater.
If you are connecting a Stratix 8000, Stratix 6000 (of Release 3 or higher) or Cisco switch, you should apply the Switch for Automation smartport. Ensure that the same smartport is also applied to the opposite end of the connection. Stratix 6000 switches need to be configured for RSTP, it does not have smartports.
If you are connecting any other switch (including Stratix 6000, pre Release 3 and Stratix 2000) you should apply NO smartport for Stratix 8000 switches with firmware before Release 6 (122-58.SE2).
If you are connecting any other switch to a Stratix 8000 switch with firmware of Release 6 (122-58.SE2) or greater apply the Multiport Automation Device smartport.
If you are connecting a 1783-ETAP you should apply NO smartport.
If you are connecting a Cisco router then you should apply the Router for Automation
If you are connecting a Cisco wireless access point, you should apply the Wireless for Automation smartport
If you wish to capture a network trace, this can be done with the Port Mirroring smartport. The Customize button allows you to select the source port and ingress VLAN.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.co ... _-en-p.pdf

Incidentally, if you add the Stratix to the Logix I/O configuration tree there will be a bunch of tags available to the CPU for monitoring the status of the switch.

Mr_Alex

Post by Mr_Alex » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 am

Hello Prushmere

Very complete information, I really appreciate it. (oo)

So from what I understand I can connect 2 or 3 ControlLogix plc's ports Stratix 8300 and exchange of tag's (Producer - Consumer) with the local PLC, without any configuration?

The one I have is the following

Local rack
ControlLogix 1756-L72-
1756-Ethernet-EN2TR
Stratix 8300 Ethernet module connected to the Local Rack

Rack Remote 1
-1756-L72
-1756-EN2TR connected to a port on the Stratix 8300

Rach Remote 2
-1756-L72
-1756-EN2TR connected to a port on the Stratix 8300

I have to make tag's Producer - Consumer Remotes Rack to Rack Local through the Stratix ..

Thanks for your answer (tyou)

regards

prushmere

Post by prushmere » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Mr_Alex,

Sure, it'll work fine - you may want to fine tune some options to improve network throughput at a later date, but I don't remember ever bothering to configure a Stratix in my life... One of the jobs I did last year used a pair of L63 CPUs, 14 Flex I/O racks, 65 Powerflex 70 drives, 18 Powerflex 400 drives and 5 HMI stations - the whole network runs on a bunch of Netgear 24-port 10/100 switches with no issues. Stratix switches are very configurable and good quality, but horrendously over-priced!