[?]: Problem with compactlogix L43

RSLinx, RSLogix, RSView, LogixPro ...
beroza

[?]: Problem with compactlogix L43

Post by beroza » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:44 am

Hi all,
I have problem with controller compactlogix L43. When i update firmware for controller, communication between PLC and PC was occured :( .
(But already transfered all block to controller, only disconnected at step "poling powerup...60s".
But i don't know why disconnected. :oops: ) after that, i can not do anything with controller.
I cannot connect to controller again via serial communication.
Please tell me, how to connect to controller and download firmware again?

Thanks you very much!

Ryzhij

Re: [?]: Problem with compactlogix L43

Post by Ryzhij » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:05 am

IMHO you have a faint chance to download the firmware via CF card. Take advantage of this.

beroza

Post by beroza » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks Ryzhij, but can you tell me how to download firmware via CF card? Can i connect to PLC via 1768-ENBT ? i have 1 card 1768-ENBT aready configured.

joker12

Post by joker12 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:52 pm

I would say you are Out of Luck. This has happened with with me. I had 10 of these to upload firmware to. The last one had a Hic Up and was bricked.

You most likely won't have much luck with the CF card. You've probably already overwritten the serial loader in the unit. You will have to give Allen Bradley a call and explain what happened and go down on both knees and beg that they replace it.

It took 6 months to get a replacement with mine.

You would think they would incorporate a USB connection. At least it would be a fast upload compared to serial.

Anyway, I'm just ranting when it comes to AB.

Good Luck

neuhauser

Post by neuhauser » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:46 pm

I agree. It's most likely bricked. You might try to flash across the backplane with the Ethernet adapter - I've never done it on a compactlogix, I always flash controllogix this way.
Here are some similar situations:

"Starting up a new CompactLogix system with a L43 CPU (DF1 only). Get online via RSLinx, connect up, go to download the PLC program as usual with a startup, give RSLinx permission to update the CPU firmware, head off to lunch. Come back to expect to see the rack rebooted and ready to go online and set the IP address of the Ethernet card, but found the CPU DF1 port dead. Kaputt. No go.

Apparently, the L4X CPUs can be rendered useless if you use RSLogix/RSLinx to update the firmware and do not use ControlFlash with ver. 16.23.

A-B says there is no way around this other than to get a replacement CPU. Uggh!"

"This has happened to me on a L35E and I cycled power and gave up on using the DF1 port, I then used Bootp, addressed the Ethernet port, and did the Controlflash through the Ethernet port. have you tried to assign your IP address to your 1768-ENBT scanner or 1768-EWEB interface card using bootp then going through the card to your PLC and doing a flash update. Every time I try and do a flash up data I have been unable to complete it through the DF1 port. This could be because I am using a usb to serial converter."

When you are flashing firmware, during the flash process, you are vulnerable to "bricking" the unit. Best thing to do is to load it in as quickly as possible and with as little chance for interference as possible. Obviously this means shut down any extraneous software that might cause issues. Minimum time suggests Ethernet but the interference-free suggests serial port. The best thing to use is either a crossover cable (MDI-X) or a small switch with NOTHING else attached (no network). That gives you the best of both worlds (speed and interference free).